Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Adorkette...meet Blade Runner...

So Mrs. Adorkification and I finally got our daughter to sit down and watch a classic...
...for a good reason:
We've been watching Almost Human together, and there are a lot of visual references.
Right down to the light-up umbrellas and the Chinese Food stands.
So we got the DVD in the mail...and had a decision to make.
Because the disc had three versions on it.
The U.S.Theatrical release...
...the International Theatrical release...
...and the 1992 Director's Cut.
Being the purist that I am, we went with the original.
Then I stupidly played the Ridley Scott intro.
Why was that stupid?
Because he says...right in the intro...
that this version includes the Harrison Ford narration and the Happy Ending!
You'd think that intentionally choosing that version, you'd kind/sorta know that...
So okay, we sat down and watched...
...and watched...
...and watched...
...and we realized that this is a rather long film.
But it wasn't the length of the film that was the problem.
It was the pacing.
Not at all fast enough to keep this new fandangled "instant gratification" generation entertained.
We (finally) got to the part where Deckard is kissing Rachel in his apartment and Adorkette says "ewww..."
When Mrs. A and I ask what's wrong, she says... 
...wait for it...
"He's too old for her."
Deckard's a Blade Runner.
 Getting involved with a Replicant.
An android.
And she's creeped out because of an age difference?
By the time we got to the gearing up for the final battle between Deckard and Roy, she had to get ready for bed.
And I really don't think she's gonna wanna see the rest of it.
 (sigh)
Maybe we should have picked a different version. But the problem with that was I've never seen any other version.
So I wouldn't know how they were different.
And for the record, Blade Runner is one of those rare films that Mrs. Adorkification and I equally love.
To the point where if I can buy it at a bargain, I have permission to do so.
'Course, I would have to get the box set.
I meant this one.
Oh hell, probably both.
At least she recognized Daryl Hannah from Kill Bill...

No comments:

Post a Comment