Thursday, December 19, 2013

Movie First Impressions: Amazing Spider-Man

I finally took the leap and watched The Amazing Spider-Man...
...and I didn't like it at first.
See, I still had Raimi's Spider-Man in my head, and when comparing the two Raimi wins.
But then I started thinking about Man of Steel...
...and remembered what Snyder said to composer Hans Zimmer:
"What if there never was a Superman movie before?"
I'm paraphrasing there, but the jist is that rebooters have to go into their projects with that mantra.
So I asked myself the question - 
"If there never was a Spider-Man, how was Amazing?"
Amazing? No, but I did find a couple of strengths.
The casting.
Gwen.
Richard and Mary Parker.
And most importantly...
WEB SHOOTERS!
But despite these things, I'm still bothered by the lack of the "power/responsibility" phrase...
...and Stacy's death was kinda glossed over...
...and The Lizard.
I don't have a problem with the look of the character,
but the size of the guy!
This is how I remember the character - ferocious, but not gargantuan.
All in all, not a bad film...but if Marvel/Disney bought the rights back and decided to start over again...
...I'd most likely watch it, love it and own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment