Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Robin III Part 35: Batman #469 (Late September, 1991)


Tim breaks the rules…and saves Bruce’s life.

I have this issue.

Tim’s having trouble with his Chemistry homework when Alfred tells him that Bruce has gone out for the evening. At the butler’s suggestion, Tim accesses the Bat-computer to help with his equations and stumbles on some data that proves Dorrance is back in Gotham. He suits up, and talks Alfred into taking him to where Bruce is…Gotham’s docks.

He arrives to find Dorrance defeated at Batman’s feet – and Lynx aiming a rifle at Batman’s head.

Tim disarms her, but she gets away. Batman gets there and reprimands Robin for disobeying him, saying that the boy’s life is more important than his own.

Notes of Interest:
1) We learn this issue that Tim has a secret door in his room behind which he keeps his Robin suit.

2) Tim still needs to prove to Bruce that he’s no Jason Todd.

WTF? Moment: We know Tim’s smart, especially with computers. We also know that that he’s used the Bat-computer for less than important things. In my head, it makes perfect sense for him to be able to access Batman’s data remotely – but for homework? Plus, the thought of all that information available through Tim’s laptop just scares the crap out of me.

WTF? Moment #2: Okay, Tim can access Batman’s computer and suit up without leaving his room - but still needs Alfred to get to Gotham. That…my friends…is funny!

WTF? Moment #3: Gotta bring out the bull-s#!tometer here. I understand that Lynx is street tough, and that shot to the face would knock Tim back. But he’s wearing a special Kevlar-weave body suit. There is no way she’d be able to knock the wind out of him with her fist. That’s straight up B.S. right there.


2 comments:

  1. Where do you read this stuff? Do you actually own the comic or do you get them online for free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own it. I mention that "I have this issue" because sometimes I have it in a Trade or other type of publication instead.
      In fact, one of the reasons I haven't been doing them more frequently (in addition to work, food, sleep and the like...) is because I want to buy them and read them for myself before writing about them.
      The synopses, comments and opinions are my own, and I welcome debate/questions/comments like yours.

      Delete