Tuesday, December 4, 2012

About this "Hawkeye Initiative" thing...

If you haven't heard yet, there's a Tumbler account where people are posting famously ridiculous poses of women in comics...with Hawkeye in their places.

For example, this...
...becomes this...
Now first of all, I'm glad that this is "The Hawkeye Initiative" and not "The Jeremy Renner Initiative". That in and of itself says a lot.

But men have responded to this all up in arms, saying that women are drawn to show "empowerment" and no one wants to see a man in similar poses. To these men I say: GROW THE F**K UP!

Of course female comic book characters are drawn in a certain way. I admit that I wasn't really aware of it when I was spending my lunch money on comics. (I even thought Rob Liefeld was a good artist!) And I understand how most women find it either offensive, or more often (as in the case of Mrs. Adorkification and Adorkette) downright silly. I'm totally fine with the site, and respect where the creators are coming from and the message they're making.

But let me ask a question: How many men...especially comic fanboys like me...look like this?
One could argue that to prove the point of "The Hawkeye Initiative" even further, people could start posting characters in poses the other way around gender-wise, (replacing male characters in images like the one above with female characters) but honestly - any female character you put in this pose...would look awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment