Wednesday, December 26, 2012

First Impressions: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

First of all, we saw this film in 2D, not 3D, and the 48 fps thing didn't bother me at all. 

This is the only Tolkien novel I've ever read cover to cover. So while I couldn't compare the LotR books to the films, I know my way around The Hobbit pretty well. 

What bothered me were the pacing of the story and all the extra stuff.

I was upset when I learned that Jackson was making the story a two-part film. After I calmed down and thought about it, I realized it was the right thing to do. My expectation was that Part One would end as Bilbo floated down the river with the barrels...

...then word came out this was going to be a trilogy.

How the heck was this simple story about a hobbit being dragged into an unwanted adventure going to be dragged out into three two-and-a-half-hour movies?

The pacing of the story, and the extra stuff.

I'll try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible, but the book has been around for a while. You've been warned.

There were several key elements at the beginning of the movie that have absolutely nothing to do with the story, and in fact never happened in the book, but I must admit I kinda liked seeing. And right away, you can tell how Jackson plans on stretching things out. 

Remember when Lucas re-released the Original Trilogy in the late nineties with all that extra CGI stuff that may or may not have looked cool but added nothing to the story itself? That's what Jackson does here. He makes redundant connections between characters, times and places...and beats us over the heads with them throughout the film(s).

The difference is, where Lucas added needless crap, Jackson adds unnecessary crap.

And that makes all the difference.

This is a great film and a worthy addition to your DVD/Blu-ray collection of LotR...and don't think for one second they won't release a package after all three Hobbit films are out...but if you love the book - like Mrs. Adorkification and myself - be prepared for bloating, and repeating to yourself: "that never happened in the book". 

Because you'd be right. Jackson's merely stating that it could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment