Sunday, December 9, 2012

A question about comics...and music

I've heard people talk about what they listen to while reading comics.

I've also seen album covers featuring comic characters.

But what I'm discussing here is different -

Which characters do I think of...when I hear specific artists?

Here's four examples off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'll bring it up again as more connections are made.

Billy Joel. You have to understand that I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so I'm talking his Piano Man days all the way through to Storm Front. This guy captured the distinctive New York Sound. Which comic character do I think of?
No question. I mean just listening to The Stranger takes me back to Peter Parker's life in the mid-seventies struggling to get by and do the right thing. And "She's Always A Woman"? You know that's about Mary Jane.

Then there's U2...
...forget their politics (and connections to certain Broadway musicals). I'm just talking about their music.

Specifically, The Edge's signature guitar (at least from War to The Joshua Tree).

How awesome is that sound? No one did it before, and everyone's tried to do it since.

Who do I think of? This one's easy...
Wally West is my personal choice, but any Flash would do.

I can hear you say: "What about "Run Like Hell" by Pink Floyd?" That's a good point, but I'm talking about artists here, not specific songs - which is another discussion entirely. Every song U2 did on those four albums make me feel either like running fast ("(Pride) In the Name of Love") or trying to run fast but forced to slow down ("With or Without You").

And of course, Elvis
There can be only one...
And then there's The Beatles.
Another no-brainer...
Let the debate of "who's most like who" commence...

No comments:

Post a Comment