Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Saturday, 10/16/2010 (New England Wizard Comic Con, Day 2, Part One)

I knew things were going to be interesting when I turned on the news after I got up and heard that President Obama was coming to Boston…today…to the Hynes Convention Center…to support the current Governor at a special rally. James Taylor was also going to be there along with other “special guests”.

My first thought was Cool, more publicity for the convention!

Turns out I couldn’t be more wrong.

Boylston Street was completely blocked off in front of the building. They closed streets all around the block, which makes sense for security reasons. But they also closed the closest T stations from all directions as well. More walking for me. The weather was nice, so it was a pretty walk, just more of a walk than I had planned.

The smack in the face by reality happened when I got to the center.

A line was forming.

At 6:30 am, it already snaked past the front of the building and partway down the block.

Still ingesting my second cup of coffee, I stood in line like everyone else, thinking it was a “one line for all events” kind of thing. But then one of the people in front of me said that the line was just for people wanting to see the President. So I went up to the door and showed the police my Volunteer Bracelet, and they let me through.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE VOLUNTEER BRACELET!!!

So in I went, showing the guards at the con entrance my bracelet as well. I donned my T-Shirt, signed in and looked around to see who needed help. Wouldn’t you know, the vendor and crew from yesterday called me over? They actually got me a coffee! So I helped them set up for the day (while also looking at their stuff) and when I was done, was asked if I was available Sunday as well. I said I had planned on coming back in the morning, but needed to catch the last bus back to Maine around 4. $10 and a request to give them a hand the next morning later, I was back on the floor chatting it up with the artists and other vendors.

Then the people in suits came off the elevators I remembered from Friday…And the armed guards…And the dogs…

I wondered how they would handle people walking around carrying axes, spears, masks and guns.

But despite this madness, the doors opened on time and things went pretty smoothly, but vendors throughout the morning were commenting on the lower than expected turnout.

Among the actors in attendance were Adam West, Burt Ward, John Schneider, Doug Jones, Lee Majors, Richard Anderson and a slew of Buffy people – including Charisma Carpenter, Nicholas Brendon and James Marsters.

The Buffy fans, with their Goth/Vampi looks, almost took over the convention. They far outnumbered the Comic cosplayers, and the Marsters concert I was thinking of going to was sold out before noon. The Buffy booth was always packed and the signing line was longer than that of any other booth. Now Firefly and Serentiy are my favorite Whedon projects to date, and I preferred the Buffy movie over the series. I told one of the artists that, and he warned me not to say that too loudly as it could get me killed. Good advice!

Still wearing my T-Shirt, I went to Greg Horn’s table and told him he didn’t look much like his artwork. He laughed, and said the closest thing he ever got was putting himself in a piece with Lara Croft. He said when his wife saw it she told him to start working out so he looked more like it.

Next thing I knew, it was time for Horn to host his Art School panel so he asked me to cover his booth for him! He told me what he charged for his prints, showed me where his change fund was, and left!

I’ll repeat: I’m wearing my Volunteer T-Shirt and covering Greg Horn’s booth!

So I’m standing there dumbfounded, behind a table of beautiful Greg Horn prints and portfolios all over it, and selling his wares to people. One of them even asked me what medium I used.

I’m wearing a goddamn bright yellow Volunteer T-Shirt and he’s asking me this question!

I explained that I’m just covering the booth while he’s on a panel, so next he asked me how much for a print. While Horn was gone, I sold at least four of his prints (putting them in protective sleeves), and then I find out Horn charged $5 per sleeve on top of the artwork. Realizing my mistake at giving sleeves away for free, I took out some of my money and put the difference in his change fund. (Thank you Mr. Vendor!)

Horn came back to the booth, clearly upset. He saw people walking around with his stuff and asked how many prints I sold. I told him, admitting my mistake about the sleeves and putting my money in for the difference. He nodded and counted his change.

I went and signed out for the day and removed my T-Shirt. I was hungry, so it was time for lunch.



TO BE CONTINUED…





No comments:

Post a Comment