Friday, February 1, 2013

WTF? Friday...2/1/13

I wasn't sure what to talk about today when I came across this article from www.complex.com about "The 25 Comics You Should read Before You Die".

Here's my comments...

25) The Punisher (MAX)
Never read it. This series came out after The Punisher: Purgatory four-part mini that resurrected Frank as an angel of vengeance. I stopped reading after Suicide Run...

24) I Killed Adolf Hitler (Fantagraphics Books)
Again, never read it, although I did read Part One of Maus a while back...

23) The Invisibles (DC/Vertigo)
Nope, haven't read it. Although from what I've heard, Grant Morrison's writing is very hit-or-miss. Gotta put Animal Man on my bucket list though...

22) Daredevil: Born Again (Marvel)
Finally, something familiar. Frank Miller did a fantastic job retelling DD's origin and filling in some blanks with pizzazz. Do yourselves a favor - own this, and skip the five-part Miller-written Daredevil: The Man Without Fear. It reads like the 1999 Special Edition release of Star Wars in that there's too much unnecessary filler crap. Born Again came first and is lean and mean. Good Stuff!

21)  Fables (DC/Vertigo)
I made the mistake of trying Grimm Fairy Tales by Zenoscope first. Total crap, and that put me off all fairy tale themed stuff. If I get a chance to snag a trade at a convention, I'll give it a try.

20) Y: The Last Man (DC/Vertigo)
I've heard many a good thing about this series, and there was rumor at one time about this becoming a television/cable series. Haven't read an issue, but I'd give the show a shot.

19) Bone (Cartoon Books, Image, Scholastic)
Nope. Reminds me too much of Cerebus, and I'm not sure why. But I will say that anything comic-book related that gets a nod from Scholastic is okay with me. Kids need to read comics. Period.

18) The Killing Joke (DC)
Yesssss. I'm sure this is just one of Alan Moore's masterpieces to make this list, but it's a damned good one. The Joker's Post-Crisis origin told for the first time. This is one of those books I want Adorkette to read...but am uncomfortable with her reading, if that makes any sense.

17) Daytripper (DC/Vertigo)
Don't know a thing about it. Can't help ya. Movin' on...

16) Sin City (Dark Horse)
See, here's the problem with lists like this. You've got single issue stories, storylines within a series, and entire series on the same list. But this isn't my list, so I'll shut up. Sin City is Miller's masterpiece. His stories, told his way, drawn by him. I haven't read them all yet, but definitely worth the time.

15) All-Star Superman (DC)
 Haven't read it. The whole All-Star thing just put me off thanks to...yes...Miller.

14) X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
This is the second Marvel Graphic Novel I ever read...after The Death of Captain Marvel...and it reads like a Bryan Singer movie. I've got an original printing of this, with the smaller image above as the cover. It's all bent to hell...and I'm never giving it up.

13) Swamp Thing (DC/Vertigo)
Haven't read an issue...of Alan Moore's run, but I do have his first appearance in DC's Showcase Pressents: House of Secrets. The bucket list grows...

12) Essex County (Top Shelf Productions)
Nope. Can't help you.

11) Marvels (Marvel)
This was my introduction to Alex Ross. Holy S#!T is this guy good. When I die, if I find myself in this version of the Marvel Universe, I'd be okay with it...

10) Hellblazer (DC/Vertigo)
What is it with DC/Vertigo? Anyway, I haven't read much of this series - maybe one trade last summer. It was okay, but this seems like a series that needs to be read from the beginning. There's nothing wrong with that, but it makes trying new titles difficult. Especially at the local library. (By the way, tell me that image doesn't look like Malcolm McDowell...)

9) American Splendor (self-published, Dark Horse, DC)
Haven't read any and not really interested to be honest, but I acknowledge Pekar's genius, talent and impact. Not my cup of tea, but rightfully deserves to be on this list.

8) Ghost World (Fantagraphics Books)
Another important work that I haven't read. I've read Generation X (the novel by Douglas Coupland) and lived through it, so I don't feel a need to read this. However, the film version had Scarlett Johansson in it so, there's that.

7) V for Vendetta (Quality Comics, DC/Vertigo)
I read this series last summer. I saw the film years ago. I understand what Moore was saying, but this didn't do anything for me. You have to be in the right frame of mind to truly get this story and I guess I just wasn't. Admittedly, the same can be said for Watchmen, but the difference there is that I wanted to re-read Watchmen and therefore found more on subsequent reads. I'm sure that's true here, but my desire to re-read V is non-existent.

6) Transmetropolitan (DC/Vertigo/Helix)
Warren Ellis, like Grant Morrison, is a hit-or-miss writer to me. Here, Ellis didn't hit just "hit", he smacked the s#!t out of it, picked it up, threw it in the air...and smacked the s#!t out of it again. This is the one series I started reading recently and will go out of my way to buy every single issue of. Okay, maybe trades instead of issues, but I am hooked! You will be too.

5) Preacher (DC/Vertigo)
This is another series I started last summer. It's good, but just not good enough for me to continue reading. I'm sure I'd like something by Garth Ennis, but this isn't it.

4) The Dark Knight Returns (DC)
Another Miller masterpiece, but again do yourself a favor and skip The Dark Knight Comes Back...or whatever the sequel's called.

3) Sandman (DC/Vertigo)
Neil Gaiman. Wow. My one gripe is that I hated the end of the series. Not how I wanted it to end. At all.

2) Watchmen (DC/Vertigo)
Buy it. Read it. Re-read it. Repeat.

1) Maus (Raw, Pantheon Books)
This is The Diary of Anne Frank of comics. A harsh...at times graphic...look at this time in history. Powerful. Emotional. So much so I could only read the first volume.

Again, not my list but a respectable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment