Sunday, February 10, 2013

A lesson learned from Robin and Nemo...

One of the things I remember reading as I've reviewed Tim Drake's appearances is his argument to Bruce in Batman #442, where he explains that having Robin around makes him "slow down a bit and wonder what could happen".

I never really understood what that meant until yesterday.
Nemo was a mess, and I needed to get outside to clear our driveway...

...and I saw that it was close to five feet deep (at the end closest to the road anyway, thank you Mr. Plow Guy...).

Adorkette was complaining that she'd been cooped up in the house too long (since school was closed Friday), and we couldn't go anywhere but the driveway. So I told her that if she wanted to be outside, she could help with the snow.

We have two shovels and a small electric snowblower. Not much, but then our driveway is only two cars wide and roughly fifty feet long.

She came out about ten minutes after I did, helped with the shoveling and the snowblower, and stayed with me until the job was done...four hours later.

Not one complaint/gripe.

She actually had fun.

But my point is that while she was out there with me, I had to keep an eye on her: help when the blower got stuck, show her the right way to shovel snow, how to lift with the knees not the back, be aware of the ice underneath the snow, etc...

In other words, I was taking my time. Pacing myself. Slowing down just enough to wonder "what could happen".

I finally got it.

So now it's Sunday, the sun is out and we need groceries.

Maybe I'll bring the kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment