Friday, July 15, 2016

Reboot vs. Remake...(WTF? Friday 7/15/2016)

Hey Joe.
So there's this film that's out this weekend. I haven't seen it yet (but Adorkette's looking forward to it) and I want to talk about the reviews I've heard so far. You might want to read what I wrote about it back in February of 2015 to get you up to speed, because I'm gonna mention the advice I gave to Mr. Feig back then.
All caught up? Good.
Tip #1 
It looks like Mr. Feig took my advice: Venkman and the guys are not mentioned or referenced. That's a good thing because it distances this project from what-has-gone-before.
Tip #2 
That pooch was totally screwed, which is why the first trailer got soooo much hate. Making this film a reboot means they're completely ignoring what-has-gone-before. Okay. Fine. If that's true, why have the trailer start with "30 Years Ago..."? I know I was hoping it would be set within the established Ghostbusters universe, but when I saw that text I was actually jumping for joy...for about three seconds...just like everyone else who saw the damn trailer
Tip #3
Looks like this film is indeed set in present day. That to me is a missed opportunity. I understand that Mr. Feig et. al. wanted to put as much distance between then and now as possible, but 30 years passing by in the real world is hard enough for fans like me to accept. Setting the movie 30 years later just adds salt to the wound. 
Tip #4
Looks like they are indeed fighting ghosts in New York...again. See Tip #3.
Tip #5
The Sequel...
Now now, let me finish...
They really should expand the act of ghostbusting beyond the City, County and State of New York. What I didn't know was that The Real Ghostbusters went global in the comics. Same four guys, just different locations. Which is cool, but by bringing together an international (or at the very least nationalteam on screen, you can add more characters, more scenery and even have a little theological debate...while still keeping the comedy. 'Cause you gotta keep the comedy. 

But what makes this a WTF? is the fact that this film is sounding less like a reboot and more like a remake:
  • The big opening scene in a library with a ghost.
  • The enthusiastic scientist convincing the other scientists to go along with it. 
  • The addition of the token African-American character...who's not a scientist.
  • The hearse.
  • The firehouse.
  • The event that legitimizes their business.
  • The big ending that threatens all of New York.
W...T...F...?

I'm not saying there aren't some new beats (aside from the gender-swapping), like the dorky male secretary actually wanting to become a Ghostbuster and the motorcycle. But is that all that sets this film apart from what-has-gone-before? Because that would be...
The only thing that could make this worse is if it was an actual shot-for-shot remake.
Thank God that doesn't happen. Anymore. EVER!
But we'll see how the weekend goes. I'm not sure how much the film cost, but hopefully it will make that back. At least. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment