Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Movie Roundup...7/22/13

Well, I could talk about how Man of Steel broke the 600 million mark worldwide...
...or I could mention how The Lone Ranger has only made back roughly 68% of its production costs so far...

...while Pacific Rim is less than 8 % away from breaking even...
...or I can go into how R.I.P.D. (based on a Dark Horse comic) failed to make an impact over its opening weekend...

...but instead, I'm going to talk about how I was right...
See, I've mentioned before that Thanos was a villain that deserved time to develop. Avengers 2 was in my opinion too soon for him to show up as the villain. He'd bide is time, plotting and scheming behind the scenes until Avengers 3...which would be The Infinity Gauntlet. Turns out Marvel Studios agrees with me...somewhat.

But now I've started thinking...

NOTE: I haven't read Age of Ultron, but I know my Marvel history.

Ultron was created by Yellowjacket Goliath Giant Man Ant-Man Hank Pym, who isn't expected to appear in the MMU until 2015.

Ultron in turn created Vision, who may or may not be played by Vin Diesel.

But Vision's brainwave patters are based on Simon "Wonder Man" Williams, who hasn't been mentioned to appear anywhere in the MMU in the near future.

That right there is a lot to put in one movie...and when you throw in all the (I assume) death and destruction of the AoU story, you're looking at a three+ hour movie.

Not that I'm against a 3+ hour Marvel Studios film...hell, I'd pay $50 and sit in a theater all day long to watch Marvel Movie goodness...but many moviegoers might not like the idea.

Come to think of it, there wasn't a much in IM3 that moved the whole MMU forward.

My guess is that over the next few years, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will bridge that gap. We may even see Pym create the beginnings of Ultron on the show and become Ant-Man in the film as a way of redeeming himself.

I really love Marvel movies...

In Marvel Studios I Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment