Friday, June 3, 2016

WTF? Friday...6/3/2016

I don't know what to write about today Joe.
Nah. Still haven't seen it. 
Which makes it hard for me because I want to watch reviews, but I don't to watch reviews. You know?

Well, yeah. It's coming out in Japan today, so I'll look at the numbers Monday.

I've already talked about that. EVERYONE knows about that. But that makes me think of something:
There are a lot of channels out there that review movies and comics, and all the ones I've seen recap the plot before going into their review.
A direct result of the Siskel & Ebert television show...the grandfather of all review shows.
I get why someone who reviews movies would follow that pattern. It helps the viewer decide whether or not to see a recently released film. Spoiler warnings abound, as needed, and the reviewer gives their opinion on what they saw without giving away too much.
People reviewing recently released comics follow the same pattern...for the same reasons. Which makes sense.
Then there are reviewers of...let's call them "classic" comics.
It's one thing for a magazine whose regular reader might not be in the know, like Time or People, to explain who Batman is, where Superman comes from or what Steve Rogers looked like before the experiment. But when a reviewer reviews a comic...on a channel about comics...and does the same thing, it drives me crazy.
If I'm on your comic book based channel watching you review an old Spider-Man story, like The Clone Saga or Kraven's Last Hunt, I don't need you to tell me who Spidey is, which issue his first appearance was in or what publishing company he's from. I already know this. 
If I didn't, there's Wikipedia. 
I'm watching your review because I'm interested in your opinion about The Clone Saga or Kraven's Last Hunt. 
While this is a recent issue, the spoiler's gone viral. And everyone has an opinion about it...even Chris Evans...but the reason why this has gotten so big is because now there are fans of the film (at least some of whom have never even touched a comic) as upset as longtime fans of the comic
But either way, reviewers still insist on the recap. 
W...T...F...?
Don't waste time explaining Steve's history as Captain America. Just explain why you think this is bulls#!t. I mean, I know it's bulls#!t, but I'd like to hear your reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment