Friday, August 2, 2013

WTF? Fridays...The Spoiler-Filled Wolverine Edition 8/2/2013...

I'm gonna go into Spoiler territory today, so if you're not ready for that...skip the jump.

As I said before, The Wolverine wasn't bad. It kept my attention up until half-way through the third reel.

* I liked how we saw bone claws in Nagasaki. Nice touch. More on that in a bit.

* I also liked how Logan was portrayed in Canada, a loner still carrying the guilt of X-Men: The Last Stand killing Jean and basically wasting away in the Rockies...until Yukio showed up.

* Rila Fukushima didn't look like Yukio to me, but she did a fantastic job and I was glad to see that she wasn't killed off. I look forward to her popping up in future X-Men and Wolverine movies.

* True, the bathing scene wasn't really necessary, but it was damn funny.

* I'll admit, I wasn't expecting Mariko Yashida at all. I thought I'd be seeing a straight-up take on Claremont/Miller's Wolverine mini, but that part of the film was done very well. Logan didn't want anything to do with her...at first, but things developed slowly as he was trying to keep her safe. Hat's off to Tao Okamoto.

* I was also surprised that Sunfire (Shiro Yoshida and Mariko's cousin) didn't show up. Not in the full Sunfire get-up, but just as a family member come to pay his respects at the funeral. Part of me thought the archer at the funeral was Shiro, but it turned out to be Harada...who I guess was supposed to be Silver Samurai...but wasn't. More on that in a bit.

* The bit after the closing credits was nice. Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart were cool surprises. Reminded me of the bar scene in X-Men: First Class.

Now for the WTF?'s...
First thing's first:
Remember earlier this week, when I mentioned that if any production company other than Marvel Studios made The Avengers they would have given the Skrulls' shape-changing ability to the Chitauri? Fox pulled that kind of crap here...by making her, essentially, Poison Ivy.

WTF?

I didn't have a problem with Svetlana Khodchenkova's performance...although she stuck out like a sore thumb in Japan...my problem was this - what was she doing there in the first place?

Granted, Viper and Silver Samurai were teammates at one point in the books, but that partnership didn't last long.

Viper could have easily been replaced by any 'mad-scientist' type who wanted to sell Logan's immortality to the highest bidder. And that tongue...just...no...

Secondly...                                     
There was a reference during the funeral scene about the Silver Samurai being connected to the Yashida family. 

That was cool.

Everything else about this character in the film...wasn't.

A giant robot housing Yashida's dying body so he could chop Logan's claws off to draw the immortality from his bones?

Really?

The return of the bone claws was a nice touch, but I was kinda' hoping the metal would have returned two years later at the airport. I understand why they didn't, but still...

Maybe they'll do Kenuichio justice in the future?

And finally...


Adorkette asked the question everyone was thinking but didn't need to have been asked:

"How could Magneto affect him when his claws are just bone now?"

One line of dialogue could have explained it to everybody.



All in all, a good film. Much better than Origins, and yet manages to connect to it and all the other previous X-Men films.

No comments:

Post a Comment