Saturday, January 14, 2012

Someone I plan on meeting after I die…


Bob Anderson
It was the sad news of the first famous person to pass away in 2012 that made me start thinking about who I would want to talk to or hang out with after I die. I knew Bob was the fencing genius behind The Princess Bride from the extras on the DVD. In fact, that was the first time I’d ever heard of him, but it didn’t matter because that fencing scene was some of the best dueling ever put on film. That movie alone puts him on this list.
Then I read his biography and film credits…and learned that he had worked on every movie I ever saw that had fencing in it. Never mind Highlander or the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings trilogies; I’m also talking about three James Bond films, both Antonio Banderas Zorro films and The Phantom!
$20 says that if Harrison Ford didn’t suggest shooting the guy, Anderson would have been involved with Raiders too.
I love fencing so much that I took classes and bought a sparring foil - back when I was in my thirties – and it’s because of Anderson without my even knowing it.
So after I die, I plan on waiting in line with a bunch of other people for the chance to get a few tips…and maybe spar…with The Master.
Bob Anderson…I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment