Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Take On...


...Identity Crisis #1
This is the second issue I have read by writer Brad Meltzer. The first being The Justice League of America #0 given out on Free Comic Book Day a couple of years ago. Having read that, I recognized Meltzer's trick of time jumping within the story. I would expect at least a few readers to get confused by it their first time through.
I also read this after reading 52, so I knew some plot points there connected to this.
I love Meltzer's use of narration, and how letterer Ken Lopez and colorist Alex Sinclair use their tricks to let readers know who's narrating what.
My biggest drawback to this story was that I only knew about half the characters. Bolt? Looks like a Punisher wannabe to me. The bit about him facing either Firehawk or Flamebird went totally over my head. And what the heck's an Amazo?
All of the characters are written realistically, like they could be walking down the street. A refreshing view that has actually been done before (ahem*Marvel*ahem). The connections and references to previous stories was another nice touch (*ahem*).
The best panel is, of course, where Ralph finds Sue. The whole page actually. It doesn't matter if you've never read a DC comic, or any comic before for that matter - if that doesn't move you, you're a cold dead fish. Bringing the extra kick to the gut back again on the next page drives the whole feel of the book further home. Literally.
My only WTF moments are when Bolt gets shot. He's a teleporter, right? So why didn't he just 'port away from the bullets? WTF?
Also - when he does go down, there are lots of holes in the crate behind him, but none in the back of his coat. WTF?
And what would make Benjamin call for an ambulance? He was the one whose brother worked for the Penguin, and was the one more likely to be packing in the first place, right? WTF?
I really enjoyed this issue, and highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment