Friday, February 24, 2012

"That '80's Sound..."

Glee is one of the shows out now that my wife, daughter and I watch together as a family. There've been some hits and misses this season, but all in all not bad.

I bring this up because most times after watching, my wife and I torture our kid with Youtube videos of songs that were either played in the episode, or inspired by songs that were played in the episode.

We showed her Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal", and she said she liked it once she got over "that 80's sound".

I have to say...it kinda hurt. Then I realized I was the same way at her age whenever my parents brought out '60's music. Not The Beatles or Stones mind you, I'm talking Peter, Paul and Mary...early Bee Gees...stuff like that.

It got to the point where I could tell the songs after the first three notes.

I'm at the point now where I can listen to that stuff and appreciate their place in history, and acknowledge that that music laid the foundation for "that '80's sound"...and the crap my daughter listens to today.

So I'll wait for someone to come along not 5 years from now and start a revival of "that '80's sound".

...Which, by the way...is still cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment