Friday, February 26, 2010

Adorkable Moment



Psych - Season 4, Episode 13 - Death Is In The Air

There’s a lot to love about this show; the ever-present pineapple, references to movies, music, pop culture, the 80’s, and so on.

But it’s the things I catch, and my wife doesn’t, that bring out my ‘adorkable’ moments.

When Shawn and Gus start talking about “Mister Dobalena, Mister Bob Dobalena” in this episode, I lost it laughing and she just stared at me. I had to explain.




It comes from the first line of a Monkees song off of their Headquarters album, (which I happened to own - on vinyl - as a kid, and probably still have around here somewhere) called Zilch. It is a beautiful, acapella song, and I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered it.

Plus, the album has extra-special, yummy, adorkable, geeky musical significance.

What’s the significance of this album you may ask? Well…

The Monkees had complete creative control - for the first time - on this album. They wrote most of the songs themselves, played their own instruments, decided which session musicians to include, and who they wanted to help them produce it. It was so good; when it was released on May 22, 1967, it was the number one album in this country…for one week.

Why only one week? Some fools calling themselves the Beatles released their next album, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, which stayed at #1 for the next eleven weeks.

That’s okay though, because Headquarters stayed at #2 for the same number of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment