Friday, March 24, 2017

So, Iron Fist (WTF? Friday...3/24/2017)

Hey Joe, let me ask you a question:
Have you seen Iron Fist? 'Cause I've seen Iron Fist.
I saw Luke Cage too, but there was a disconnect.
For one thing, I don't know the character very well. I've got a couple of issues, including some Power Man and Iron Fist, but I knew his origin...his motivation...his "gist".
The show, however, emphasized Harlem. I know nothing about the history of Harlem. I liked the show, but that lack of knowledge affected my enjoyment.
Now back to Iron Fist.
Again, I don't know the character well, but I got his 'gist'. However this time around, my interest wasn't very high. I'm just not a fan of martial arts based comics. I don't think he's a bad character or poorly written or anything, it's just that he (and his genre of books) aren't my cup of tea.
I like what the show didn't do - focus on Chinatown, spend a lot of time in K'un-Lun or feel too "Kung Fu Fighting".
I also didn't like what it didn't do - show us any of K'un-Lun, have Danny meet Luke or give us the mask.
I like what it did - show us Danny re-integrating himself into his former life (and world for that matter) and kick some serious ass.
I also didn't like what it did - give us a lot (a LOT) of Rand Corporation. Know how much I knew about Rand Corporation from the books?
THAT much.
Know how much I cared about Rand Corporation in the show? Same thing.
I love Love LOVE Claire. I'll never get tired of watching her integrate herself into the Defenders mythos. Say what you want, the Netflix shows needed a Coulson. They got one HELL of a Coulson. And in some ways, a better one. 
I guess what I'm saying is - since the books didn't hold my interest, the show didn't either.
But is that because the show was bad? Is it because the character is bad? I really don't know. I am planning on rewatching the series in the near future...and yeah, eventually buying it on Blu-ray.
Don't judge.
My hope is that the show will have the chance to improve with Season 2 (which it deserves), giving fans more of what we want - especially after reading Season 1 reviews like this one.

In Marvel Studios I Trust

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment